The Twins Clinic
The Twins Clinic is the only private antenatal clinic in Sydney dedicated to women who are pregnant with twins. We offer comprehensive antenatal care, including all antenatal visits and detailed twin ultrasounds at the same time, as well as twin birth and postnatal care. Women attending the Twins Clinic for pregnancy care will not need to attend ultrasound scans anywhere else – your advanced twin ultrasounds and your antenatal care are both provided in the same location, on the same day.
The Twins Clinic is run by Dr Colin Walsh, a Maternal-Fetal Medicine (MFM) Obstetrician who is an expert in caring for all types of twin pregnancies and offers up-to-date, evidence-based care. Dr Walsh has run specialised twins clinics both in Australia and in Europe and has previously cared for more than 500 high-risk twin and triplet pregnancies. He has published extensively on the management of twin pregnancies in the scientific literature.(1-4)
Advanced Care Brings Better Outcomes.Every twin pregnancy is high risk. The chance of pregnancy complications is much higher with 2 babies, particularly premature birth and fetal growth problems. Twins have better outcomes and fewer complications when cared for by an obstetrician with extensive experience and knowledge of managing twin pregnancies. (5,6) In the best maternity hospitals around the world, twin pregnancies are now cared for by Maternal Fetal Medicine Obstetricians. Until now, the gold standard of MFM care has only been available for twin pregnancies in the public sector. The Twins Clinic was established to offer first-class specialist care for women expecting twins who prefer to birth in the private sector. We offer expert care in a dedicated clinic, with less running around for the patient and no waiting for scan results.
UltrasoundUltrasound is the cornerstone of modern twin pregnancy care and should be performed by an experienced clinician. All ultrasounds at the Twins Clinic are personally performed on the latest ultrasound equipment by Dr. Walsh, an ultrasound expert who has performed more than 5,000 ultrasound scans in high risk twin and triplet pregnancies. As well as scanning our own twin patients, we regularly offer expert 2nd and 3rd opinion scans for complicated twin pregnancies.
Twin BirthThese days, most women expecting twins deliver by caesarean section and Dr. Walsh is highly experienced in twin caesareans. We also offer vaginal twin birth for women with uncomplicated twin pregnancies where Twin 1 is in a head-down position. Dr. Walsh is one of the few obstetricians in Sydney who is very experienced in vaginal twin births and will happily support this option as long as it is safe for you. All triplet pregnancies should be delivered by caesarean section.
How to make an appointment or get more informationPlease call the rooms on 02 9987 0966 or email [email protected]
- Brinsmead SK, Walsh CA. TAPS-related fetal cerebellar disruption. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2017; 30: 2354-2355.
- Walsh CA. Early 2nd trimester fetal demise in a monochorionic twin pregnancy: A cautionary tale. Australas J Ultrasound Med. 2015;18: 78-81
- Walsh CA, Wilkinson M, Downey P, Mooney EE, Carroll S. 'False' lambda sign in monochorionic twin pregnancy. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 46: 376-7.
- Walsh CA, McAuliffe FM. Recurrent twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS) after selective fetoscopic laser photocoagulation: a systematic review of the literature. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2012; 40: 506-12.
- Khalil A, Giallongo E, Bhide A, Papageorghiou AT, Thilaganathan B. Reduction in twin stillbirth following implementation of NICE guidance.Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynaecology. 18 April 2020. https://doi.org/10.1002/uog.22051.
- Henry A, Lees N, Bein KJ, Lim V, Chen KQ, Welsh AW, Hui L, Shand AW. Pregnancy outcomes before and after institution of a specialized twins clinic: a retrospective cohort study. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2015; 15:217.
Preparing for pregnancy
Pre-conception advice to optimise your health for pregnancy
Birth & Beyond
Vaginal birth, Caesarean section and post-pregnancy support