If you are thinking about having a baby, this is the perfect time to see me for pre-pregnancy advice and preconception genetic testing. I have counselled hundreds of couples preparing for pregnancy, and the best way to achieve a healthy pregnancy is to be healthy yourself at the time of conception. There are a number of things we will discuss at your pre-pregnancy visit:
- Your medical history and any previous pregnancy issues
- Prenatal and preconception genetic screening, vaccinations, cervical screening and any other recommended tests and treatments
- Medication safety in pregnancy
- Lifestyle advice (diet, smoking cessation, healthy weight) and folic acid supplementation
If you have an existing medical problem...
...or you experienced complications in a previous pregnancy, then pre-pregnancy counselling is essential. An antenatal care plan tailored to your own individual circumstances will give you the best chance at a successful pregnancy.
- Pre-existing medical problems such as diabetes; high blood pressure and kidney disease; over- and under-active thyroid; inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s); epilepsy and other neurological problems (multiple sclerosis, intra-cranial tumours); blood clots and clotting disorders; heart disease; cancer, leukaemia and lymphoma; lupus (SLE) and other autoimmune problems; serious respiratory disease
- IVF and ICSI pregnancies, including mature age, donor eggs and families with genetic disorders
- Complications in a previous pregnancy such as pre-eclampsia; small and growth-restricted babies; premature birth and short cervix; recurrent miscarriage; stillbirth; blood group antibodies
Congratulations, you're pregnant!
Caring for your pregnancy
Birth & Beyond
Vaginal birth, Caesarean section and post-pregnancy support